Canada to accept more foreign students as permanent residents


The Government of Canada will be accepting up to 1,000 international PhD students as permanent residents through the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program per year.
Starting November 5, 2011, 1,000 international students who are studying at the doctoral level in Canada will be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the FSW program. To be eligible for this program, applicants must have completed at least two years of study toward the attainment of a PhD and remain in good academic standing at a provincially recognized post-secondary educational institution in Canada, or have completed a PhD in Canada within the last year.
“Attracting and retaining immigrants with high levels of skill will help Canada compete in the knowledge-based world economy,” said Minister of State (Science and Technology) Gary Goodyear. “With this initiative, we are telling the innovators of tomorrow that Canada is ready to welcome them and their ideas.”